Sunday, July 31, 2011

Coming home...

Okay, some of you think this is over. But in case you're still reading, here are some images from our return trip.

First, you need to see this photo of the kabuto mushi that my boys found during a farewell picnic. Eeeeeeee!
Back on topic. We packed our boxes. We will see these in about 6 weeks. The two on the left contain nothing but Legos.
The day we left, our friend M-san surprised us by bringing over a picnic lunch of yakisoba and sushi rolls. We also tried to eat the rest of the food the neighbors kept giving us. As she left, we gave M-san some leftover watermelon, sunscreen, and packing tape. I'm sure she was thrilled.
Bye bye, Surprising Breezes East.
(The boys are wearing the Japan national team shirts they got from their friend S-kun.)

M-san drove the little boys to the station, and joined us to wait for the Haruka train to the airport. M-san also came along.
We horsed around waiting for the train.
S and M rode to the airport with us! M , M, and R waved goodbye from the platform.
A service had picked up our luggage the day before, so we met it at the airport.
This plane also had a button on the seat for the overhead light, but it has harder to impress the boys this time.
In the SFO airport, we met Darrin's friend A, who entertained the boys with Angry Birds.
It was a long layover.
We finally made it to PHL.
It's 1:45am. But the Mum Mum limo met us anyway!

Look who's helping! (I can't believe it either.)
We got home at 3:30am.

Here's Hugo at noon the next day, waiting for MM to come over with Fig.
He's here!
Reunited at last.
The other grandma and pa came over a few hours later.

So far, my first impressions are that things are big. My drinking glasses are big. People are big. Milk cartons are big. Cars are big. My kitchen counter is high. Our house is big.

The first day, the boys took out every toy they owned and inspected it.

Then they asked questions they haven't asked in the house in 11 months, like, "Where's Hugo?" "Where's daddy?"

I can't tell yet if I'm happy to be home. Looking at these final days in Kyoto still makes me cry....
I hope you'll come over and distract us!


  1. welcome back! at least fig is smiling.....

  2. The Fig did mightily celebrate the joyous occasion, and on the seventh day the Pochans rested.

  3. Fig does look happy! Welcome back, friends. Give us a ring when your body clocks are set to the EST. :)

  4. Such great photos. I hope your re-entry into super-sized America is great. We've missed you!